I'm an independent software UI researcher, funded by consulting, with 20 years experience in commercial UI development across all platforms from web to VR. My research interest is in the computational structure of user interfaces.
Contact: https://twitter.com/dustingetz (Twitter DM is my preferred contact method)
- I am the founder of Hyperfiddle, a software programming tool for making user interfaces. We exist to make an extraordinary tool for UI development that brings the next generation of applications within reach.
- We do this through a domain-specific programming language specialized for streaming web applications. It lets devs use plain function composition to wire up complex full-stack applications without pain, bugs, or thinking about data plumbing ever. Unlike existing web frameworks that treat frontend and backend separately, Hyperfiddle's “distributed dataflow” language reunites frontend and backend into a single coherent reactive expression. Imagine React.js but full stack, incremental view maintenance all the way from database views to DOM views, as one streaming computation.
- My long-term mission is to help people collaborate at scale with the structure and frequency of software. The first step in this is to tame runaway complexity in today’s incomprehensible information systems.
- Giving back: I participate in Lindsay T the Lady Engineer’s weekly program for female pre-seed founders.
- What is the job that you need developers for? (2022)
- Low-code is boilerplate automation, not abstraction (2022)
- Four problems preventing visual flowchart programming from expressing web applications (expressiveness, spaghetti code, logical/physical impedance mismatch, density) (2022)
- What is the business value of strong composition? (2022)
- Aphorisms for Product Management (2021)
Quotes I love
- 2018 REST FEST – The Quest for a General Hypermedia Client
- 2018 Clojadelphia – The structure of CRUD apps
- 2017 Scala PHASE – Datomic: functional programming in the database
- 2017 Scala PHASE – Hyperfiddle – a Hypermedia Function
- 2017 ClojureNYC – Datomic, and the failures of REST, hypermedia and ORM
- 2016 LibertyJS – Composable UI
- 2016 LibertyJS – Intro to ClojureScript, coding workshop
- 2016 Clojadelphia – Intro to ClojureScript, coding workshop
- 2016 LambdaConf – What would happen if REST were immutable?
- 2015 Clojadelphia – Eliminating I/O concerns with immutability
- 2015 Scala PHASE – Rethinking webapp best practices around immutability
- 2015 DatomicConf – What Datomic does to REST
- 2014 QCon NYC – Functional Programming on the Front-end with React.js
- 2013 Philly ETE – Livecoding a webapp in both Clojure and Scala, with Jason Feingold
- 2012 Strange Loop – Monads in python
- 2011 Avoid callback hell: a practical introduction to continuations